What are the advantages of hospice care?
Hospice care can benefit the dying and their loved ones in many ways.
- Hospice allows terminally ill people and their families to remain together in the comfort and dignity of familiar surroundings, often at home.
- Hospice provides expert pain and symptom management allowing a terminally ill person to be as comfortable and pain-free as possible.
- Hospice treats the person, not the disease.
- Hospice care respects and reflects a person's choices about end-of-life care.
- Hospice cares for the entire family unit, not just the patient. A family member is anyone the patient shares a significant relationship with.
- Hospice focuses on quality not quantity of life.
- Recent studies show that people who choose hospice care may live longer than those with similar diagnoses who do not choose hospice.
- Hospice provides an interdisciplinary team of knowledgeable professionals and volunteers to care for people and their loved ones who are experiencing a life-limiting illness.
- Hospice is a cost-effective alternative to the high costs of hospitals and traditional institutional care. Many people find hospice provides financial relief.